Frequently Asked Question
Anyone who does not have a current University of Utah ID, a UALC member college ID, or a Utah Bar membership card must obtain a paid permit to check out materials.
This permit is good for one year and allows 365 consecutive days of usage, with borrowing privileges at all University of Utah libraries. Borrowing privileges are limited to circulating items only.
University of Utah Libraries permit holders may simultaneously check out 40 items from any of the three libraries. Any item may be renewed up to four times. If you still require the item after four renewals, please bring it to the information desk of the library. If there are no holds or recalls on the item, you may be allowed to check it out again.
Please note: Many of our items, including reporters, statute volumes, treatises, and journals do not circulate. Please check the item for circulation status or ask at the information desk.
See FAQ: Can I check out books?
Obtaining a Paid Permit
- Visit the Information Desk on level 1 of the law school and library to obtain a permit.
- Complete a patron registration form. You will be required to provide a valid e-mail address and/or phone number where we can reach you.
- Submit the proper form of I.D. The staﬀ member at the desk will assist you.
- Pay the $100 fee for a non-transferable permit. Credit cards preferred; checks also accepted.
- If you have any questions, contact us at 801-581-6438.