Frequently Asked Question

Can I get a law student to give me legal advice and/or do research?
Last Updated 2 years ago

  • Legal advice: Law students are not licensed attorneys and cannot provide legal advice. Some law students staff Free Brief Advice Legal Clinics, which provide brief one-on-one instruction and assistance to low-income Utahns who cannot afford legal representation. The Free Brief Advice Legal Clinics are open to any low-income Utahn on a first-come first-served basis. All Free Brief Advice Legal Clinics are staffed by volunteer law students and volunteer on-site supervising attorneys. You can find a list of our clinics here.
  • Research: S.J. Quinney College of Law policy prohibits students from performing legal research for the general public. Students can only provide research services under the supervision of an attorney. The Career Development Office provides assistance to attorneys looking for law students to do research for them.

Please Wait!

Please wait... it will take a second!